- Phone: (55 11) 3141-9180
- City: São Paulo
- Languages: English and Portuguese.
- Practice Areas: Corporate and M&A
João Carlos Mendonça has a wide range of experience in corporate operations and restructurings, joint ventures, compliance, audits, corporate and contractual consultation, legislation on foreign and Brazilian capital, as well as corporate planning, and public and private bidding processes. For his role as a reference in this field, João was appointed by Felsberg Advogados to join Meritas, which is a global alliance comprised of more than 175 full-service law firms located in over than 70 countries.
João Mendonça specializes in limited liability companies, listed and unlisted companies, mixed and public economies, special partnerships, shareholders´ agreement, and legislation on foreign and Brazilian capital invested abroad vis-à-vis Brazil´s Central Bank and the Securities and Exchange Commission. João also has a vast experience in the areas of corporate, mergers and acquisitions, succession, contract, administrative, compliance, banking, finance, operations involving technology rights, cryptocoins, Initial Coin Offering (ICO), and blockchain. Considering that João´s knowledge is multidisciplinary and segmented by industry, he has been very active in the healthcare and medical equipment industries, including health surveillance legislation and its enforcement by Brazil´s health and sanitation surveillance authorities.
In the field of corporate law, mergers, and acquisitions, João Mendonça has participated in the following operations:
- Joint-venture between the National Basketball Association (NBA) and Brazil´s Nacional Basketball League (LNB) to establish a long partnership aimed at promoting the game in Brazil;
- M&A, advising BSN Medical during its acquisition of Grupo Neve, the parent company of Neve, Neve I.N.A and Nevada companies;
- M&A, advising Itubombas during the sale of 100% of its share capital to Atlas Copco, a Swedish leading manufacturer of industrial equipment;
- Assisting a foreign financial institution wanting to invest in a mining company in financial distress.
- Assisting Intercement, a leading company in the cement industry owned by Camargo Corrêa S.A. during the sale of a minority stake in the company to Banco Bradesco BBI in a transaction worth BRL 1.5 billion;
- Debt restructuring of Borrachas Vipal´s debt in the amount of BRL 1.2 billion owed to the following banks: Itaú Unibanco, Banco Bradesco, Banco do Estado do Rio Grande do Sul, Banco de Investimentos Credit Suisse (Brazil), Banco Fator, HSBC, and Banco Santander;
- Structuring and implementation of a Stock Option Plan for the directors and executives of a private equity fund.
In Compliance, João advises clients on how to comply with the anti-corruption legislation by identifying and assessing potential risks leading to non-compliance, carries out corporate investigations, internal audits, reviews and implementation of effective Corporate Compliance Programs, and gives training.
In this area, João has provided services to:
- several international subsidiaries subject to the FCPA and the UK Bribery Act, helping them adjust and implement their Compliance Programs to the Brazilian Legislation;
- providing crisis management services to medium-sized companies such as construction and telecommunication companies during Operation Carwash and conducting investigation to detect practices of violation of anti-corruption and compliance rules;
- engineering company self-reporting acts of non-compliance to the national and international authorities;
- several training workshops for managers and key staff members on rules of the Compliance Program and its implementation; and
- Drafting of contracts with third parties from both the public and private sectors to ensure that all anti-corruption laws are thoroughly complied with company to detect any breaches of the anti-corruption rules and non-compliance.
- Admitted to the Brazilian Bar Association in São Paulo (OAB/SP).
- Brazilian Bar Association Center of Studies of Attorneys’ Societies - CESA - Committee of Company Law.
- Unidas University - FMU.
- Post-Graduate Degree in Corporate Law from the Fundação Getúlio Vargas.