- Phone: +55 (11) 3141-9188
- City: Sao Paulo
- Languages: English and Portuguese.
Senior associate at the M&A, Restructuring, and Compliance Department of the Felsberg Advogados law firm. Renato Brandão provides legal services to public and private companies involved in both national and international business transactions, including cross-border investment projects, venture capital, project finance, M&As, distressed M&As, debt and equity restructuring, joint ventures, audits, due diligences, consulting on corporate and contract-related matters, rules and regulations and control of foreign capital in Brazil and Brazilian capital abroad.
Renato Brandão also advises companies in financial stress, works on restructuring debts, provides advice on distressed investments and project financing, negotiations out-of-court, non-court-supervised restructuring plans to bring in new investments, and represents investors, creditors, partners, and debtors.
Brandão also provides consulting on anti-corruption-related matters and compliance in general. His experience has been in identifying and assessing the risks associated with possible breaches of anti-corruption laws, conducting investigations during a due diligence for a corporate transaction, internal audits, and private investigations needed during any company’s normal course of business. Renato also has experience with crisis management and training on Compliance. He works in partnership with foreign lawyers in cases involving investigations on the violation of anti-corruption global initiatives such as the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (“FCPA”) and the UK Bribery Act, and also advises foreign colleagues on Brazilian legislation.
More recently, Brandão has been involved in the following Corporate/M&A and Company Restructurings projects:
- Joint-venture between the National Basketball Association (NBA) and Brazil´s Nacional Basketball League (LNB) to establish a long partnership aimed at promoting the game in Brazil.
- Debt restructuring of Borrachas Vipal´s debt in the amount of BRL 1.2 billion owed to the following banks: Itaú Unibanco, Banco Bradesco, Banco do Estado do Rio Grande do Sul, Banco de Investimentos Credit Suisse (Brazil), Banco Fator, HSBC, and Banco Santander.
- M&A, advising BSN Medical during its acquisition of Grupo Neve, the parent company of Neve, Neve I.N.A and Nevada companies.
- M&A, advising Itubombas during the sale of 100% of its share capital to Atlas Copco, a Swedish leading manufacturer of industrial equipment.
- Assisting a foreign financial institution wanting to invest in a mining company in financial distress.
- Assisting Intercement, a leading company in the cement industry owned by Camargo Corrêa S.A. during the sale of a minority stake in the company to Banco Bradesco BBI in a transaction worth BRL 1.5 billion
- Structuring and implementation of a Stock Option Plan for the directors and executives of a private equity fund.
In the area of Compliance, Brandão has provided services to:
- Several international subsidiaries subject to the FCPA and the UK Bribery Act, helping them adjust and implement their Compliance Programs to the Brazilian Legislation
- Investigation of a food distribution company to detect any breaches of the anti-corruption rules and non-compliance.
- Engineering company that spontaneously denounced the violation of compliance rules to the authorities
- several training sessions to managers and key staff members about new Compliance Program rules and its implementation;
- Drafting of contracts with third parties from both the public and private sectors to ensure that all anti-corruption laws are thoroughly complied with; and
- Writing of memos and expert opinions for an oil company wanting investing in companies with high corruption rates, including providing advisory services during the negotiation of the transaction to mitigate the contamination of contingencies.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- Member of IRELGOV - Institute of Relations with the Government;
- Member in the Anti-Corruption Study Group at FGV Law School in São Paulo;
- Passed the Brazilian Bar Exam, São Paulo (OAB/SP); and
- Former member of the Legal Committee of ABEIFA (Brazilian Association of Import Companies and Automakers from 2011 to 2012)
- M.B.A., Master of Business Administration at INSPER University (currently studying);
- Post Graduation Course - Debt Restructuring & Insolvency at Fundação Getúlio Vargas - FGV, São Paulo, 2016.
- Investigation and Procedures in Compliance Course from LEC Legal, Ethics & Compliance, 2016.
- Post Graduation Course - M&A and Corporate Restructuring, at Fundação Getúlio Vargas - FGV, São Paulo, 2011.
- LL.B., Mackenzie Presbyterian University, School of Law from which he graduated suma cum laude after presenting his graduation thesis on “A Public Offer for the Acquisition of Share Capital due to the Divestiture of Most of The Shares of a Listed Company” under the guidance of Prof. Dr. Armando Luiz Rovai (June 2010).
- Accounting for Non-Accountants Course at Mackenzie, at Mackenzie Presbyterian University in 2008.