- Phone: (11) 3141-9103
- City: São Paulo
- Languages: English and Portuguese.
- Practice Areas: Labor/Sports and Entertainment
Partner and Head of the Labor Law Department at Felsberg Advogados, Maurício Pepe De Lion is specialized in labor law, where he has more than 30 years of experience in counselling and defending both national and multinational companies. Most of his cases are complex claims involving executives and expatriates. He has also vast experience with the drafting of Codes of Conduct, compensation policies, profit and results´ sharing programs, and stock options.
Maurício has a solid track record in M&A operations, company restructuring and court-appointed reorganization proceedings, internal investigations, civil class actions, and negotiation of collective bargaining agreements throughout the national territory. His practice has always been guided by the principle of reaching legally-sustainable solutions.Read more
More recently, Maurício has provided legal counsel to:
- an engineering and services company specialized in the construction of oil rigs, where he successfully negotiated a collective bargaining agreement with the local Metal Workers´ Union during the dismissal procedure of 3,500 direct employees and specialized service contractors;
- an Association of Bioenergy Producers during a civil class action worth over R$500 million regarding overtime payment, as well as its reflexes (in itinere);
- sugar, alcohol and electric power plants regarding the shutting down of production units in certain Brazilian states and the negotiation of collective labor disputes concerning financial and social issues;
- an airline company during a civil class action regarding hazard pay to all employees working at airports;
- an engineering and services company specialized in the building of large and technically-complex infrastructure projects during a civil class action regarding a supposed non-compliance with the regulatory norms of the Ministry of Labor and Employment concerning accidents at the workplace and overtime payment, with individual claims worth over R$100 million;
- an oil, fluid, and logistics company during the successful negotiation of a collective bargaining agreement with nine different unions regarding the dismissal of 800 direct employees;
- An infrastructure company during a civil class action regarding the payment of labor union contributions;
- a technology company during a dispute over a supposed exposure of employees and the surrounding community to toxic materials;
- a logistics and energy company during a labor dispute with its former CEO who had filed a labor claim;
- medical diagnostics companies during civil class actions regarding the recognition of labor relationships of highly specialized contractors with individual claims exceeding R$50 million.
- Full member of the Special Committee on Agribusiness and Agrarian Relations (OAB/SP);
- Full member of the Study Committee on Labor Relations in Healthcare (OAB/SP);
- Member of the São Paulo Labor Lawyers´ Association (AAT/SP);
- Member of the Brazilian Bar Association, São Paulo chapter (OAB/SP).
- Postgraduate in Labor and Civil Procedural Law from the Catholic University of São Paulo (PUC).
PUBLICATIONS AND INTERVIEWS
- Book chapter "Condução de investigações internas sob o ponto de vista trabalhista" – Topics: Anticorruption and Compliance. Elsevier Publishing Company/Law;
- Article: Permanência de comissários de bordo no interior de aeronaves de grande porte durante seu abastecimento e o adicional de periculosidade. Suplemento Trabalhista LTr, v. 47, nº. 118;
- Co-author of the article: Compra de Terras por Estrangeiros. Capital Aberto magazine;
- Co-author of the article: Job stability for employees affected by HIV. Revista The Global Employer – Baker & McKenzie;
- Co-author of the article: Monitoring employee use of company computer systems. Revista The Global Employer - Baker & McKenzie;
- Co-author of the article: Overview on Commissions' Matters in Brazil. GGI | Geneva Group International;
- Interview to the Latin Lawyer: "Brazil revises arbitration act";
- Interview to the weekly magazine Exame and newspaper O Estado de São Paulo: "Proposta para domésticos deixa brecha, dizem advogados";
- Interview to Latin American Corporate Counsel Association: "Red tape continues to disrupt business in Brazil";
- Interview to Folha de São Paulo newspaper: “O que a lei prevê sobre o banco de horas?”
- Interview to Folha de São Paulo newspaper: “Como justificar faltas no trabalho?”
SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS AND STUDY GROUPS
In the last years, Maurício has participated in over 30 national and international events as a conference speaker and panelist. He also actively involved with study groups in the field of Labor Law.
Recognized by the Latin American Corporate Counsel Association (LACCA) as one of Latin America’s leading business lawyer in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018.
Recognized by the Latin Lawyer 250 guide, 2017 edition.