Partner in the area of Company Law in Felsberg Advogados’ Rio de Janeiro office, with responsibility for the firm’s Oil and Gas Department.
Luis Menezes is a partner that leads Felsberg’s Oil and Gas Department. He has more than 18 years of extensive experience in the area, involving the guidance of domestic and international companies on regulatory, corporate and contractual issues.
He is a respected specialist in all the areas of exploration and production, distribution, refining and commercialization of oil and gas, including negotiations and operations relating to mergers and acquisitions. He has assisted some companies on farm-in/farm-out transaction as well as on negotiations of joint operating and unitization agreements.
Luis Menezes is also involved with compliance matters associated with the oil & gas industry, being involved in training programs and due diligence for compliance purposes for more than 15 years.
Luis Menezes is the author of many articles and he is also actively involved in legal education and training, providing participants with detailed knowledge and skills to work within the regulatory frameworks in Brazil.
- Admitted to the Rio de Janeiro branch of the Brazilian Bar Association (OAB/RJ);
- Additional enrollment in the São Paulo OAB (OAB/SP);
- Member of the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN).
- Graduate in Law from the Instituto Metodista Bennet – Rio de Janeiro;
- Specialization course in Oil and Energy with the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ);
- Specialization course in Public Law from the Pontifícia Universidade Católica of Rio de Janeiro (PUC);
- Specialization course in Contracts and International Regularization for Upstream and Downstream Business with the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
- Co-author of the article “O Petróleo Continua Sendo Nosso” (“The Oil is Still Ours”) published in the ‘Valor Econômico’ newspaper; (November 2004);
- Co-author of the article “8ª Rodada da ANP Precisa de Segurança Jurídica” (“The 8th ANP Bidding Round Needs Legal Security”), published in the ‘Jornal do Comércio’ newspaper (November 2006);
- Co-author of the article “Sucesso do pré-sal depende de regime fiscal adotado” (“Pre-salt Success Depends upon the Tax System Adopted”) published in the Consultor Jurídico magazine (April, 2011);
- Co-author of the article “For Flexible Production Sharing” published in the Brazil Energy magazine (August, 2011);
- Co-author of chapters in the book “Brazilian Upstream Oil and Gas: A Practical Guide to the Law and Regulations” – published by Business Publishing Ltd (ISBN 978-1-905783-70-0), 2012;
- Co-author of chapters in the book “Brazilian Midstream and Downstream Oil and Gas: A Practical Guide to the Law and Regulation”,– 2013 published by Globe Business Publishing Ltd (ISBN 978-1-909416-24-6), 2013.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Recognized by Chambers and Partners Latin America in the area of Oil and Gas.